My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://deepmindspace.wordpress.com/ and update your bookmarks.

On a shopping spree!!!!

>> Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The moment I saw my cell beeping, it struck me it was Friday and it was a friend calling me along for shopping…lets call her S. S was getting married in a few months time and yours truly being her best friend was assigned the task of accompany her for weekly trousseau shopping trips. So dutifully every week we would trudge along the malls looking for the most unique things for her. My friend calls me a fashion fossil… she thinks my fashion sense dates back to the time of the oldest dinosaurs; still she takes me along … maybe it is her sly way of giving me a lesson or two. It is said that opposites attract and so true it is in our case. I don’t take more than 10 minutes to shop for anything, I buy whatever I like first in the shop I go to J But that’s not the case with S., S scans every item in 10 shops and then either buys nothing at all or finds the eleventh shop.

Let me take you one of our small shopping excursions and hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did

We enter a large accessories shop.

S: Show me a XY type of accessory.
Salesgirl: M’am, please have a look at this kind.
S: No I want the XY type.
Salesgirl: Yeh latest fashion hai ..
After 1 hour of relentless searching……
S: Nahi kuch pasand nahi aaya … (by this time we have looked at least 100 types)
Finally S likes a particular design, and I am asked to try it on…
S looks at me the way a scientist looks at a specimen who is not very pleased with the final results of an experiment. My heart sinks. This means we need to walk for another 5 kms which also means another new pair of footwear for me. I try to convince her that it looks good but she gives me a look as though I had committed blasphemy, and tells me that the look was out of fashion 10 years ago … (all for giving an opinion… and again I am reminded of my fossil status).

However all this extra scrutiny has it reverse effects too. Once while making me try out a particular item, the piece snapped. My friend and I hastily removed it, kept it back on the shelf and scooted out of the shop. We didn’t stop until we reached 2 kms away from the shop (I am sure we would have won India a medal or two at the Olympics.. whatay waste of hidden talent!!!). For a few weeks we judiciously avoided that street and if we saw anyone giving us more than a second glance, we would double check to make sure it wasn’t the sales boy from that shop J

The major gain from all these excursions was that, I lost all the excess flab I gained without spending a dime at the gym, walking is a good exercise. My wardrobe is overflowing too, cause whenever we went shopping for my friend, I always ended up buying more stuff than she did (I hate to disappoint the sales people you see!!!)

There is an incident without which I cannot end this post.
It was the season of sales, another friend of mine, a guy, lets call him X wanted to check one out. Yours truly was pulled along too. The shop had a good offer on trousers and X wanted to buy a few too.
X to Sales boy: I need trousers of size 44.
Sales boy: Sir aapka size 34 hoga,
X: Utna size toh mera 10th standard me tha ..
Me: Even I think it must be 34.
X: The waist sizes are different for men section. (Glares at me for the effect)
Me: ok… (While the whole scene was unfolding, I see a huge man ask for waist size 36)
X: Please give me size 44, else I’ll talk to your manager.
Sales boy (exasperated): Ok sir, as you wish.

Now my friend stubborn goes in with size 44 trousers of 3 shades to the changing room. In 2 minutes he comes out, a sheepish grin spread across his face, “It’s too loose”, he says, “I think I got confused between the shirt size and trouser waist”.
The sales guy just kept grinning with an “I told you so look” on his face. On my part, I was almost rolling on the floor laughing… (Fossils do know waist sizes at least!!)

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping!!!

This post got published as a guest post here too!!

32 comments:

Awanish February 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

retail therapy haan! and i was wondering where r u shedding those extra pounds...now i now whom to call if i ever get confused with waist sizes ..lol

Enduring the Babbles of Life February 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

he he...loved ur end punch "Whoever said money can't buy happiness..."!

Karthik February 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karthik February 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

Fossils do know waist sizes at least!!)...Very true..Very true..lol

Deepti February 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

Awi: thanks ... you can laways count on me...

Durbs: Thanks a lot :)

Karthik: Glad you liked it :)

Nishant Chandgotia February 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM  

Picture this::- Poor me being dragged by a gaggle of girls(I dare call them so) from 1 shop to another.Every 2nd min "nishant do you think this is good..."
If I answer yes she looks thoughtfully in the mirror and says"no no ,its not that good...it does not match the colour of my skin!!!!!!!!!!!" and if I answer no ..."You don't have any taste"..n you shouldn't blame us guys for not having much shopping sense.Yours extraordinary alacrity for it has dragged out all our interest in it...Comical post..nice nice

Deepti February 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

nishanth: Thanks .. glad u could relate to it!!

ceedy February 23, 2008 at 4:40 AM  

that was cool....liked the punchline.....but even credit cards give the same joy :)

mathew February 23, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

hahaha..the last scene should have been a million dollar photograph!!;-P

Deepti February 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

Mathew: I wish had a high end phone then, I would have captured that moment :D .. thanks for dropping by!!! Keep visiting...

Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 11:48 PM  

hehehehe... you are funnny.. hop dwn to my blog someime

Lucifer February 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

fashion fossil...lol...thats a good one...

Deepti February 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

@chris: Thanks ... keep visiting !!!
@Mayz: :D Thanks pal

Enduring the Babbles of Life February 26, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

tagged!

silverine March 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

lol!!!The last one was too good!

We are similar in shopping habits :p

Solitaire March 2, 2008 at 7:02 AM  

Somehow, I have reached that stage where I look back on all the money that I spent on shopping and wonder if I could have brought a brand new car had I saved all that money.

Deepti March 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

Silverine: Thats cool!! so next time I need to go shopping, i'll call you!! :)

Solitaire: Now thats interesting!!! :)

Anonymous March 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

fossils do know the waist sizes :D
i wish if i cud have been thr to witness the most hilarious part :D

Ravana March 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

no more posts after this one???? do write!!!

Anonymous March 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM  

i wonder how would he have reacted when he would have been trying it in the trial room [the moment you catch yourself performing a funny blunder is huge fun] ... LOL

Anonymous March 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

Hey Girl, How are you? Finally got time to read your blog... very funny... hope to read more from you [:)]

Alameen March 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM  

fossils do know the waist sizes haha

good one

Deepti March 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

Burf: LOL!!! should ask him that next time I meet him ...have been avoiding him since this post.. breach of confidentiality you see :)

Shilpa: Thanks :)

Alameen: Thanks !!!

Sachin Sawant March 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

he he ..........very fun ..........a good blog, by the way i have blogrolled Ur blog

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

hahhaha... good blog. writing about my eccentricities behind my back.. yeah I remember slipping in the broken necklace and hurrying out.. that was fun girl!!!!

Deepti April 3, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

@Anon: Thanks S.. and these are the memories of the most wonderful time we have spent together right?? Miss you n come back soon...

Nishanth April 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

lets not lie to people about u loosing flab...or u must have got the flab back cos u havnt gone for shopping in a long long time....lets go shopping...and u know that your the only one i can count on to buy women apparels...take care and keep writing..
P.S. I want people to officially know that deepti is lazy to hell and will never go to gym in her lifetime...So please do her a favour and all you people take her out for shopping so that she can loose weight..

Deepti April 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

@Nishanth:you are my bor or my enemy .. spreading bull shit on the web.. FYI , I am gymming these days.. just goes on to show how out of touch we are bro :D

Satish Bolla April 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

loved this post. even though there's only one major incident like this in my shopping life, i always take care to avoid any more like it. will post it soon in my blog.

Deepti April 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

@Satish: I can almost write a books on Shopping tales !! Do post your experience mate :)

Anonymous May 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

A very accurate description of my wife made by my wife's best friend! Take her out shopping some more....she loves to walk!...haha!

shruti June 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

how well i can relate to all this!!!!